Professional Studies in Art Song: Powerful Artistry for the 21st Century Performer.
Professional Studies has been designed to provide a comprehensive experience, combining traditional Art Song studies with explorations of performance craft and artistry ‘from the inside out’. The environment supports the development of your unique creative expression at the highest level of aspiration.
The broad array of activities each student will take part in, will allow them to explore the interpretive process along with innovative approaches to Art Song recital presentation. The sessions open with a private workshop by Susan Mohini Kane, author of The 21st Century Singer. Making the Leap from the University into the World. VISI’s Founding Artistic Director, Prof. Rena Sharon, joins Vanderbilt University Professor of Opera Gayle Shay to guide dramatic engagement of text, movement, and story telling. Professors Erika Switzer and Laura Loewen’s extraordinary classes in lyric diction offer transformative approaches to expressive singing. Performance Psychology expert Paula Wise‘s workshops are described by participants as life changing.
In addition to daily coachings there will be two private masterclasses for the ‘Professional Studies’ Program. One with celebrated soprano Isabel Bayrakdarian and the second with internationally acclaimed recitalists Tyler Duncan and Erika Switzer. Pianists will have specialized classes on vocal collaboration with Profs. Sharon, Switzer, Loewen, and Serouj Kradjian.
The schedule is designed to include daily auditing of the Graham Johnson masterclasses and the Latin classes as the schedule permits.
This 10-day course, from June 18 – 27, 2016, would include the following:
- Accepting only 8 singers and 2 – 4 pianists
- Private Masterclass with Isabel Bayrakdarian
- Focus on French, German, Spanish, and English Song
- Auditing of the Graham Johnson Sessions when schedule allows
- Tyler Duncan and Erika Switzer Masterclass
- Daily Coachings with Core Faculty
- Spanish Diction and German Diction Classes
- Poetry Exploration (Latin Languages)
- For the Pianists, Collaborative Piano Workshops
- Dramatic Recitation
- Improvisation and Narrative Techniques for Performance Innovation
- Paula Wise Sessions on Performance Anxiety
- Workshops on Art Song In The Community and Global Context
- Performance Opportunity at the end of the session.
- Fee $750
Application deadline has ended, but if you would like to still apply, please email us at email@example.com